This project started with the 2009 discoveries in Charterhouse Cave; the desire to discover where we where very rapidly after each trip and how it related to the caves around us. The MCG was also working hard in Upper Flood and, like us, was very willing to share data. It rapidly became apparent that a program was needed that could keep up with the changes that were occurring in the data, Therion was chosen as one of the leading cave surveying software packages, that could morph the drawing when the centreline changed.
Most data in this repository is published under a Creative Commons license.
however please check individual files and folders for further information.
The data can be downloaded anonymously, to contribute data please contact Andrew Atkinson
Thanks to everyone that has allowed the use of the data to make this project possible.
The latest plan version of Charterhouse Cave, Tyning's Great Swallet and G.B. Cavern in pdf format.
The August 2013 version of the Reservoir Hole and White Spot Cave in pdf format.
The Gough's Cave Survey (to 2013) plan and elevation of the dry cave and downstream sumps in pdf format.
The Gough's Cave Survey (to 2013) plan of the whole cave in pdf format.
The 2004 survey of Tyning's Great Swallet, in pdf format.
The 2011 survey of Palmer's Cave, in pdf format.
The 2011 survey of White Spot Cave, in pdf format.
The 2013 survey of Great Oone's Hole, in pdf format.
The 2014 survey of Spider Hole, in pdf format.
- Aven (part of Survex) which only reads .3d files but has better tools.
- Loc (part of Therion) which reads both .3d and .lox files and has better visualisation and more information.
A more complex and therefore larger file is also available for viewing using only the "Therion" viewer. This model remains very much "work in progress" and will be updated and improved as our dataset is added to and improved. The Cheddar Catchment Area Survey "Therion" 3D file compiled by the University of Bristol Spelaeological Society
Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2010
The video and the wire frames below it are published under a Creative Commons license.
Reservoir: The Frozen Deep Video: Browsers seem to give different results, Chrome seems to work best.
The video was produced by Andrew Atkinson.
Data collected on a fancy machine lent to us by Leica, if I knew what it was I would put up the information.
The triangular mesh data, provided after the scan are at (not sure what the differences are), provided curtisy of the Tuesday Diggers and Leica.
The original data comes from the sources listed below. Plans based on this data have been published in some cases and the references are given with links where available. This is not a comprehensive list of previous published surveys, but only those based on parts of this dataset.
- Attborough Swallet: Data by kind courtesy of Trevor Hughes.
- Blackmoor Swallet, or Stainsby's Shaft: Data by kind courtesy of Alan Gray.
- Bone Hole: Data by kind courtesy of MCG and Andrew Atkinson.
- Charterhouse Cave: Data from P. & A. Moody and the Charterhouse digging team Pete Moody, Alison Moody, Pete Hann, John Cooper, Andrew Atkinson and Simon Flower. Plan originally published in 1984.
- G.B. Cave: Data from UBSS, plans originally published by UBSS in 1951, 1969 and 1984. Ladder Dig extensions have been resurveyed and redrawn by Andrew Atkinson.
- Gough's Cave: Surveyed by UBSS/CDG 2010/11.
- Gough's Old Cave, Long Hole and Great Oones Hole: originally surveyed by W.I. Stanton. Available from Mendip Cave Registry and Archive.
- Great Oone's Hole surveyed by Andrew Atkinson, Tony Boycott and Alison Moody in 2013, drawn by Andrew Atkinson and Graham Mullan.
- Grebe Swallet: Data from W.I. Stanton, plans originally published by UBSS in 1991.
- Longwood Swallet: Originally surveyed by MCG, drawn by Mike Rennie in 1961 and revised by Tony Knibbs in 1984. Available from Mendip Cave Registry and Archive. Digitised by Phil Rowsell; Reynolds Passage digitised by Alex Crowe.
- Manor Farm Swallet: Originally surveyed by W.I. Stanton and published in 1974. Additional data supplied by P.L. Smart & T.C. Atkinson and a revised plan was published in 1999. Data on the 2010 extensions and including the Rifts and Ruckles kindly supplied by Phil Rowsell. This dataset does not include Sarum Inlet, discovered and surveyed by the Salisbury Caving Group.
- Palmer's Cave (Tynings Field Dig): Surveyed by Andrew Atkinson and Alison Moody 2011.
- Reservoir Hole: By courtesy of the Tuesday Diggers & UBSS.
- Rhino Rift: Originally surveyed by W.I. Stanton and published by WCC. This is original data kindly provided by Phil Rowsell.
- Spider Hole: Surveyed by Andrew Atkinson, Pete Hann and Adrian Vanderplank 2011.
- Totty Pot: Surveyed by UBSS 2005.
- Tynings Barrows Swallet: Originally surveyed by BEC and GSG, drawn by D.J. Irwin and published by BEC. Available from Mendip Cave Registry and Archive. Digitised by Alex Crowe and Andrew Atkinson.
- Tynings Great Swallet: Data from Tony Boycott. Survey originally published in 2005.
- Upper Flood Swallet: All data by kind courtesy of the MCG. The original survey is available from their website.
- Waterwheel Swallet: Data from W.I. Stanton, plans originally published by UBSS in 1987.
- White Spot Cave: Surveyed by Andrew Atkinson and Graham Mullan 2011.
- Wigmore Swallet: Data by kind courtesy of Trevor Hughes and Chris Jewell.
- The surface survey has been generated by Mike McCombe's TerrainTool; additional information from Bill Chadwick.
Thanks are due to all the above. Most of the technical stuff has been done by Andrew Atkinson; Graham Mullan typed in much of the archive date.